Monday, September 19, 2011

The Orphan Killer (2011)

So this flick completely came out of left field for me. I literally heard ZERO about it until just recently.  Apparently director Matt Farnsworth was going social networking crazy promoting this flick. Somehow it missed me, I don't know. The bottom line is, I finally heard about it's claim to be "a tour de force murder flick that defies classification, goes far beyond current trends in gore and breaks open a new suffering genre of horror", So needless to say, I HAD to see it after reading that.

Marcus Miller is a serial murderer hellbent on teaching his estranged sister Audrey what it means to have family loyalty. His lessons are taught in massive doses of vulgar and unimaginable pain. Throughout her brutal torture we learn that Marcus is not the only Miller with Killer in the bloodline as Audrey proves to be a formidable adversary.

I turned on the flick and settled back to watch it, and was kinda shocked at first. I was a little surprised that the opening of the movie has a cover of "Cry Little Sister" playing. Although a good fit for the overall plot of the movie, I was surprised that they used it considering it is the prominent song of the Lost Boys series of flicks. I know I always think of The Lost Boys when I hear that song. The cover fits well, but I think they probably should have used a different tune.

So anyway, it basically starts out showing the killer's sister Audrey working (?) at a catholic school. Surprised me a little because she is in a really skimpy skirt, I personally do not mind (this girl has a GREAT set of legs), but just struck me as a little out of place.  So she's working there and they're having some sort of dance recital that night.  At the same time, her brother whom she hasn't seen since they were young, is coming to get her and show her pain for leaving him years back.

On a side note, the background of the two is fleshed out pretty well. They're parents were murdered and they hid in the bathroom. Her brother protected her and helped her hide, etc. They went to an orphanage after that and she was adopted and he wasn't.  Oh yeah, and you will be PISSED at the nuns at the orphanage, I know I was.  They literally treat this little boy like crap.  They say he is evil and make him wear a mask, which made me be like "No wonder he turned out the way he did." I personally think this made me have more empathy for the killer. 

Ok anyways, he's coming back to get her, along the way killing random people.  Throughout the first half of the movie the killer, Marcus, doesn't talk much. He just kills, VERY violently, but after the first half he all of a sudden is pretty vocal. I found this kind of weird cause he didn't talk in the flashbacks, he was just pretty silent.  Anyways, it works well, and I didn't mind.

The fx and kills in this movie are pretty great.  I actually saw some stuff that made my jaw drop and that's hard to do.  Despite the budget constrains, they manage amazing fx work.  Lots of blood and gore.  Overall, this flick is extremely violent and brutal.

I love how this movie was made as a balls to the wall, kick ass flick. They obviously wanted to make a killer, bad ass movie, and they did.  It is literally one of the most, for lack of a better term, brutal horror movies I can remember in recent memory. Marcus just assimilates dudes left and right and I loved it.

You can have some serious fun with this movie. Its one of the better movies i've seen this year and definitely deserves a watch from horror fans.  It's got the blood, gore, kills, a great villain, and Audrey's shower scene was pretty damn nice. I highly recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment