Thursday, September 15, 2011

Creature (2011)

So I had heard some seriously BAD stuff about this flick, like HORRIBLE reviews. Some claiming its worthless and one of the worst films of all time. Despite all of the negative press regarding Creature, I somehow felt compelled to see it.  I guess I have a soft spot for rubber-suited monsters, crocodile/alligators, and louisiana backwater hicks.  Anyways, I finally got the chance to see it and went for it. Was it worth it? Check out my review.

Creature starts out with a group of preppy kids driving in an SUV, headed for a camping trip in Louisiana. They stop buy this rundown gas station and happen to hear about the legend of Lockjaw, a half man/half alligator creature that is rumored to roam the swamp . The group then goes out to see the supposed dilapidated home the creature.

Although this sounds like your normal run of the mill monster movie. Probably the same kind you come to expect on the SyFy Channel at 1:00 am, it actually changes up things quite a bit. It of course starts out with Lockjaw killing the kids off one by one, but eventually the kids realize Lockjaw isn't the only threat they need worry about.

Sid Haig (Spider Baby, House of 1000 Corpses/Devils Rejects) is the headlining actor as you probably know already and does a decent job of portraying the main backwater hick (even though its almost exactly the same as his role as Capt. Spaulding) and was a lot of fun in the flick. The other actors were ok, and did a decent job throughout, not really any standouts, but I wasn't expecting there to be.

Now to the gore, there is hardly any. Most deaths/kills are off screen and the ones that are on screen are very tame (by a horror fan's standards anyways). So, if you're expecting lots of gore, be prepared to be disappointed in that aspect.

I'm sure Lockjaw isn't going to be a new horror icon and he really doesn't deserve to. I think the design was cool, he looked very "rubbery", but that was ok with me.  His overall look was pretty cool. Definitely "action figure" material in my opinion, if that makes sense. I would like to see him in a sequel, but I just don't see this flick taking off enough to have a sequel.  With more work on the script, some more gore, etc, this could have been a killer B flick. 

I will go on record as saying that Creature is no where near as bad as some of the reviews are making it. I have definitely seen much worse and actually enjoyed watching this flick. Is it great? No. Is it a classic? By no means. Was it fun? Absolutely. It harkens back to the late 80s when just about anything could be made, monsters were rubbery and Swamp Thing ruled. Check it out, you may just enjoy it.



2 comments:

  1. thanks bobby- i am the director of the film and also a hickory boy. i liked your honesty and that you had fun- thats why e made it-fred andrews

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! thanks man! I'm really glad you enjoyed the review.

    ReplyDelete