Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Puppet Master II (1991)

Wow the Puppet Master series definitely has its ups and downs.  As you probably know, I started my Puppet Master review quest with the abysmal Puppet Master vs. Demonic Toys (REVIEW), then went to the original Puppet Master I (REVIEW), and I just finished Puppet Master II.  I hated Puppet Master vs. Demonic Toys, Puppet Master I was pretty decent, and now that I have finished Puppet Master II, I can honestly say that it was pretty great.  I loved how the new puppet (Torch), he is probably my favorite of the bunch.  I also love the direction they went in the sequel. Basically, the Bodega Bay hotel is now abandoned and owned by the government. They send a team from the office of paranormal claims to investigate Paul Whittaker's (who is now in an asylum for the insane) crazy stories and claims. Of course as you probably can figure out, the puppets are there and start killing everybody. The puppets are pretty freaking awesome and I actually dug them more than the human characters.  The effects on the puppets themselves are pretty impressive considering the budget and time at which this movie was made. The script is much better this time and has more story centered around the puppets, which was a great idea. I LOVED that Toulon played a vastly larger part in this one, as his character is pretty compelling to me. I also loved the backstory segments about Toulon.  All in all, Puppet Master II was pretty fantastic in my opinion. Definitely my favorite of the series thus far.  Lets see if Puppet Master III lives up to the high expections that I now have after seeing Part II!


No comments:

Post a Comment